A day out in London sponsored by Ripley’s Believe it or Not, Big Bus Tour and Planet Hollywood gathered together a great number of travel bloggers in the London area, some of which I had a chance to chat and network with.
Closer to the end of the night, me, The Dancing Traveller – “exploring the world one leap at a time” met Emily, The Cosy Traveller “exploring the world one cup of tea at a time” – it was fate!
Even better, Emily from The Cosy Traveller has just nominated me for a Liebster Blog Award.
This is an award given to fellow bloggers to show appreciation for new blogs that they’ve enjoyed reading and think deserve a mention.
So nice to be nominated, and even better to answer some great questions about my travels, so thank you Emily!
11 random facts about me
- I spent a summer working for a white water rafting company, with free trips down the river whenever I liked!
- I’m left handed
- I’ve never broken a bone
- I spent a year living in China as a professional ballet dancer and teacher
- I love every single type of cheese there is. End of story.
- I served a year as an AmeriCorps volunteer in the mountains of North Carolina
- I’m addicted to Starbucks
- I’m about to hit 30 countries travelled to right in time for my 30th birthday!
- My mom works as a vineyard wedding planner and I’ve grown up (from 21!) loving wine and vineyards
- Huge fan of bluegrass music, with my favourite band being Avett Brothers. I loved them before anyone else did!
- I love to paint
Here are the 11 questions from The Cosy Traveller:
1.What made you start up your own travel blog? After my dancing career took me to China, I fell in love with the idea of travelling around the world and documenting it as I went. For the first few years after China, I took tons and tons of photos, but besides Facebook, I had nowhere to really share the stories that went along with all the photos. That’s when I got into blogging!
2. Where’s the best place you’ve ever visited? For an all around amazing trip, I would have to say Vietnam. I went with two of my good friends for a 14 day trip this past April and it was all so breathtaking. We had city breaks, mixed with beach days, boat rides down the Mekong Delta, tours of some of the most amazing caves in the world and a finale with Halong Bay as a backdrop. We went from cheap hostels, to beautiful guest houses, to a penthouse suite on our last night!
3. Is there anywhere in the world you have absolutely no desire to visit? Parts of the Middle East, I don’t really have much of an interest to visit. I love travelling, but I’d never want to risk my life to go to a country. And I’m also not a big fan of extremely hot weather and deserts! I’d love to go to Oman though, so it really depends on the political situation in the country at the time.
4. What’s your favourite animal? I think I’d have to say elephants here. After spending 6 months in South Africa, and a few safaris under my belt, I am now in love with elephants. They are truly amazing creatures – especially the little ones are just too cute. I had a chance to interact with them up close at an animal rescue centre outside of Johannesburg, and they stole my heart away.
5. What’s your best blogging tip? Readers like things that are easy to digest. Stick to lists – top 5, Key reasons to, Why visit, 3 days in, etc etc. Readers don’t usually have long amounts of time to read multiple blog posts. Keep it simple and easy.
6. Is there anything that you absolutely have to take with you on your travels? My neck pillow! It is the most useful thing you can have on any trip. Whether it’s for the airplane, for long bus rides, for that hostel with the hard beds, for when you find yourself on a deck chair on the beach and just need something to rest your head on – it’s perfect! Also my camera, of course.
7. What do you miss when you’re away from home? Nothing. After living abroad for 6 years now, I’ve gotten used to be in different places and eating/drinking/experiencing new things. There are rarely times when I miss something. Unless I’m sick. Then I would probably kill for Campbell’s chicken noodle soup.
8. Favourite film? Into the Wild
9. Are you a hostel or luxury hotel kinda person? Both! On my last trip to Vietnam, we had several nights in hostels and met some amazing people, had a few nights in a guest house and enjoyed their specialty restaurant, and on the last night, we splurged on a £90 penthouse suite overlooking Hanoi. Why not do it all!
10. What 5 things would you like to achieve in the next 5 years?
- I would like to survive my 30th birthday
- I want to save enough for a RTW trip – with a focus on South America
- I would love to spend a year hiking the Appalachian Trail
- I’d like to volunteer more
- I’d like to have my travel blog be my sole source of income, and work for myself
11. What’s one thing you would tell your 16-year-old self? Stop stressing, you’re awesome!
My 11 nominees are…
It’s quite hard to keep track of all those who have been nominated (also – fewer than 200 followers) but here are 11 of my favourite blogs at the moment which are worth checking out! (No pressure to take part if you already have…)
10. Never Jetlagged
11. An Ocean Away
And here are their 11 questions…
1. What made you start up your own travel blog?
2. What’s your fantasy job?
3. Who is your favorite musician?
4. Where do you do most of your blogging?
5. What’s the coolest “souvenir” you have from a country you’ve visited?
6. Where in the world do you feel most at home and why?
7. What do you miss when you’re away from home?
8. What place have you travelled that most surprised you?
9. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
10. What thing on your bucket list would you be most upset if you didn’t do?
11. What is your favourite animal?